Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) Course
What is SSSTS?
The Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme is a two day course which is accredited by the CITB. This course is specifically for construction site supervisors and people with that level of responsibility.
The SSSTS course is a nationally recognized construction safety qualification and while it is not mandatory, is a best practice for all many major contractor groups for all supervisors working on site. Very similar to the SMSTS.
Whats taught in the SSSTS?
- Why candidates are carrying out their identified duties
- What safety is expected of candidates
- how candidates can ensure the safety of the workplace
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Gain awareness of the safety concerns of construction
Ignorant workers are possibly the most likely cause of danger in any industry, especially one where everyone is responsible for everyone else’ safety, as their unknowing mistakes put everyone else at risk.
- Gain awareness of how health and safety law is structured
To practice construction site safety, you will most likely have to comply with all the legal best practices. This means you have the required documentation of all the work that is going to be carried out on-site. There are also some “legal hoops” most if not all construction companies will have to jump through to start construction, and this all needs to be done before any construction starts.
- Gain awareness of how their supervisory role fits in with the management structure in controlling site safety
Every site must have a strong supervisor who is willing and capable of enforcing safety standards with no exceptions.
- Be able to carry out risk assessments and Gain awareness of the need for method statements
- Gain awareness of effective site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings
- Be able to monitor site activities effectively
- Gain awareness of how timely intervention can save lives when bad practices are identified
Ideally, construction workers would fully understand the ramifications of inadequate safety precautions and thus act in a manner to ensure site-wide well-being
Who Should Attend?
This course is structured for those who have, or are about to acquire supervisory responsibilities. including but not limited to first line managers, gangers, team leaders, foreman, supervisors.
How is the course Assessed?
At the end of the CITB SSSTS course candidates are required to participate in an exam paper consisting of 25 multiple choice questions.
4 questions are safety critical and require a short written answer.
Multiple choice questions are worth 1 point each and safety critical questions are worth 1-3 points each.
A passing mark for the course candidates is reasonable but candidates need answer 4 out of 4 of safety critical questions correctly. The SSSTS Course pass rate is 80% (24 out of 30)
Successful completion will be awarded the CITB SSSTS – Site Supervision Safety Training Scheme certificate which is valid for 5 years.
Where can you study?
There are now many companies offering this course, to find the best price i would suggest googling for one in your location. The cheapest one near us was here
Here are some other courses you may be interested in.